Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Last Bastion of Manhood.....

Originally written on1/31/2008
When the missus and I got out of bed this morning we were surprised to see it was snowing pretty hard.  We weren't necessarily so surprised at the "snowing," but at the fact that it wasn't sticking to anything but the road.  At any rate, they decided to close the Muhlenberg County Schools which usually meant that I got to take the wife to work.

As soon as we reached the main highway, it was virtually clear.  Most of the snow "blew" off the road, even though the highway department was out "salting!"  Anyone could have successfully driven on it. 

I thanked my woman for allowing me to take her to work even though she could easily have driven herself.  I thanked her because men driving women to work (or to the grocery, etc.) in snow is the "Last Bastion of Manhood!"  I learned this from my Dad (and he learned it from his). 

These days, women can do anything a man can do.  They ride motorcycles, they climb telephone poles, they drive race cars, they run for President of the United States...they can do anything they set their mind to.  They can even drive in snow, we just don't want them to know it.  If we men can't do this menial chore for them, then they'll soon discover that we're pretty much "useless" and they'll discard us. 

After I took her to work, I took my Truck (yep, they even drive trucks) down to Pace Tire to get an oil change and tire rotation.  I was explaining this to Ken Christerson and Speedy (Ken, incidentally, picked her up and drove her in), when Dr. Gary Givens happened to drop by.  I was telling him of this theory.  He said his wife Jane has not only been driving for years in snow and ice, she usually planned a shopping trip to somewhere like Nashville when the roads turned bad.  Seems that the malls were less crowded and there were more "deals" in inclimate weather.  Lord, I hope Pat (my wife) doesn't find out about this.

Anyhow, with the schools closing, it got me to thinking.....most of the school bus drivers I see are women.  Do you suppose if their husbands volunteered to drive them around in the bus when it snowed we'd be allowed to keep the schools open?  Just food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment